11/1/10

Week 1: Day 1 - Introduction

September 13, 2006. That was the day that it all started for me. I went to the doctor's that afternoon and left with the new knowledge that I was a Type 2 Diabetic. I was really shocked and couldn't believe it. Up to that point I didn't even know that anyone in my family had had it previously. I ended up going home and calling my mother and talking to her about it and as far as she knew only my maternal great-grandmother had been a diabetic. Things have certainly change. I have since learned that my paternal grandfather was also a diabetic. And my mother has since been diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic as well.

I have learned a lot over the past four years. I didn't even know that type 2 diabetes was something that took years to manifest and not show up over night. I also didn't really know that it is carbohydrates that affect your blood sugar. For those who really don't know about diabetes, there is a lot to digest. I still have a ways to go where my education is involved.

By no means am I a "good little diabetic." I have been struggling over these last four years to get on track and currently take 3 oral medications to  keep my diabetes in check. But I decided I am not getting any younger and need to get myself in a better position, health-wise. I am working on getting more exercise in my life as well as altering my diet so it is much more healthy for me. I am trying to get more involved with the fight for Diabetes as it directly, and indirectly, effects my life. This year I participated in the Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes for the first time and it was a very good experience for me. This blog is just another tool to help me get in track and to try to educate a few people along the way.

Diabetes fact: 1.6 million new cases of diabetes are diagnosed in people aged 20 years and older each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment