11/12/10

Week 2: Day 12 - “Friends & Family Friday”

Sometimes it can be hard and draining having to deal day in and day out with diabetes. Having the right support system is key in managing the disease. Not having the support of the people around you can make life harder on you as you try to deal with things. I am glad I have all the support I do. I have a lot of friends and family who help support and encourage me. My husband is the biggest help of all. When i have a moment of weakness he is right there to push me towards the right choices, usually. i have to admit that sometimes I am just too stubborn to listen to him. But for the most part he is right beside me encouraging me to do what is best for me. And in a round about way he has actually influenced himself to do better as well. As he supports me to make changes in my life, it trickles right back over to him. For instance, almost 7 weeks ago I decided to start Weight Watchers and give it a try, well in these last few week my husband has seen how i have change for the better and has started to follow along and make the same changes in his, so we are both improving our lives!

I also have a great friend at work, Alyssa, who finally convinced me to start walking with her during our lunch breaks at work. So now i am getting a guaranteed workout of at least 30 minutes a day, five times a week. I can count on her not to let me skip out on walking. She pushes me because she knows in the end I will benefit greatly from our walks. She recently lost some weight, so she is a bit if inspiration to me as well. I am grateful to have her for a friend!

Not only do i have those two people supporting me everyday, but i have many friends and family who help spread the support as well. While it may not be in person, it is there every time I read a comment or see that one of them "likes" something on Facebook, or on here. I have a wonderful support network on-line and I am very grateful for it. It ranges from family members like my mother to friends I haven't seen in years all the way down to people I have not actually met in person, but they are encouraging me to do better! I am so very lucky to have all these people in my life who want to see me succeed in getting healthier and having a better life! It would be very hard to do this otherwise. Their support and encouragement helps me get through so many days!

So i just want to say thank you to all my friends and family out there who support me. Thanks to my mom, step-father, father-in-law, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends. Even if we have not spoken in person for a long time, you are still there for me, so I THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Diabetes Fact: An estimated 285 million people, corresponding to 6.4% of the world's adult population, will live with diabetes in 2010. The number is expected to grow to 438 million by 2030, corresponding to 7.8% of the adult population.

No comments:

Post a Comment